Friday, May 25, 2012

Another holiday

The last two weeks were spent in Vaals, the Netherlands, close to the German en Belgian border. As usual, we rented a cottage in a holiday center. My wife took her new electric bike and I took the 700X with me, which turned out to be an excellent choice. I also brought a new toy with me, a MONTANA 600 gps. I spent over a year deciding whether or not to buy a gps-device, but a couple of weeks ago I did get myself one. Mounting the MONTANA on my 700X was pretty easy : I just installed the Garmin Bicycle Mount on my KLICKFIX mount and was ready to go.


Is it big ? Yes, it is. I guess you don't need a gps-device this size just for riding your bicycle only. But since I use the MONTANA both for cycling and motorcycling, you get the best of both worlds (long battery life and a big enough/bright screen).

Compared to where I live, it is very hilly over there. I needed all of my gears most of the time. The 700X handled everything just fine, I only found out that a couple of times my gear was not low enough (or I just can't ride up hill at all). I might consider getting a bigger cog on my rear hub to overcome that problem.


Summer really was late this year, only this last week temperatures finally got up and evenings were mild enough to be spent outside. I spent at least 3 hours a day on the bike with no real discomfort at all. The city of Aachen was really close, so we visitied this wonderfull city several times by bike. Another nice holiday spent close to home.  

No comments: